LLELA has nine camp sites available for primitive camping. The campground is near, but not along, the river. Each camp site will hold up to two tents and 10 people. Larger groups can rent more than one camp site. Groups of 25 people or more must use the Group Campground (by prior reservation only). Our trail map shows the location of both campgrounds.
Things to Know About Primitive Camping at LLELA
- Camping is allowed on Friday and Saturday nights ONLY.
- Check-in is no later than one hour before closing.
- Check-out time is no later than 1:00 p.m. on Saturday and 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- Cost: $10.00/campsite/night, plus day-use fees ($5/vehicle/day, or free for annual pass holders. Children 5 years and under are free.) Cash or check only; we are not able to accept credit cards.
- A day pass is good for campers to come and go from LLELA ON THE DATE OF PURCHASE. If you camp for more than one day and leave LLELA on the second day, you will need to buy a new day pass upon re-entry. If you stay inside LLELA, you will not need to buy another pass.
- Each camp site will hold up to two tents and 10 people. Larger groups will need to rent multiple sites, but groups of 25 people or more should use the Group Campground (by prior reservation only).
- Potable water is available in the campground.
- There are no bathroom or shower facilities. There is a portable toilet nearby.
- LLELA's security gate closes promptly each evening at the end of our public hours. There is no exit from the preserve for campers after that time except in case of an emergency. In case of a true emergency, please call 911. Lewisville emergency responders can access the LLELA property at all times.
Available for Scouts and other community groups by prior reservation only, for groups of 25-100 people. Drop-in use of the group campground is not allowed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make a reservation. Rates: $50/night for 25-50 people, plus $5/vehicle. $75/night for 51-75 people, plus $5/vehicle. $100/night for 76-100 people, plus $5/vehicle.
Wildlife Preserve Regulations
- Camping is allowed in designated campsites 1-9 or the group campground only. There are no longer campsites by the river due to the frequency of flooding.
- Free firewood is available in the campground. Fires may only be built in provided fire rings at rented campsites. PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN FIREWOOD TO LLELA. Outside wood can harbor invasive insect species. Please use the wood provided and don't cut your own.
- Fires are allowed only in rented camp sites.
- Campground quiet hours are between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- All vehicles and equipment are permitted only on designated roads.
- Trails are for hiking only — no bicycles, horses, or motor vehicles of any kind.
- No pets are permitted, except service animals
- No alcohol or firearms.
- Portable toilets are located near the parking areas.
- No littering — if you pack it in, pack it out.
- Fishing nets are not allowed at LLELA (not even for bait).
- A fishing license is required to fish.